Mushroom & Kale Stuffed Squash
It’s the last Friday of Lent and what better way to celebrate than with one last healthy meat free dish. On the table and in the plate is this yummy and delish Vegan Veggie Stuffed Squash.
Every time I pass the veggie section of the grocery, the squash just calls to me. So fresh and pretty, I bought a couple, and had not a clue as to what I was going to make with it. Until by chance, as I was trolling pinterest, I saw a recipe Stuffed Squash and the light bulbs immediately began to go off in my head. I opened the fridge, pulled out some veggies and that is how this dish was born.
I will be the first to say, it is not the quickest dish to make. It has a lot of steps, but they are so simple, it’s worth taking the time to make and create food magic. So here it is…perfect as a main course or side dish, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 Squash
- 2 – 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1 cups vegetable stock or water
- 4 cups kale chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking pan with parchment and set aside.
- Cut your squash in half, and scoop out the seeds. Place them cut side up on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and bake fore about 45 – 60 mins until it is fork tender.
- Once squash is cooked, remove from oven and reduce the temperature to 350° F. Let squash cool until warm to the touch then scoop out the cooked squash leaving a little flesh on the sides, then set aside.
For the stuffing
- While the squash is baking, start the stuffing by cooking the quinoa according to the package directions. (I cooked mine by placing the quinoa in a small pan, adding the stock or water, bringing to a boil, then reducing the heat and letting it simmer until cooked.) Once cooked, remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Next in a skillet heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium, add garlic and onion, then sauté for a couple of mins until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms, sprinkle with a little salt and cook for another couple of mins until tender.
- Next add the kale stir to combine with the mushrooms and cook until its wilted.
- Lower the heat, add quinoa and stir to combine.
- Next add the cooked squash, fold in the cranberries, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a spoon, fill the squash shells, with the kale mixture until all the stuffing is used up. Bake for another 10 – 15 mins or until the stuffing is warmed through. You can top with chess now if you like or serve and enjoy!!!