Pesto Stuffed Chicken Breast
What’s for dinner? That is a question that everyone asks themselves everyday.
For someone who isn’t celiac or gluten intolerant this is an easy fix. You can simply purchase something in a fast food joint or pick up something in the grocery right off the shelves or the frozen section. But when your options are limited, finding dinner can be a task. And making it after a long day can be a chore.
So after much deliberation on what the cookbook should be about, I finally decided let’s start with dinner!
I’m a big foodie! So when everyone is thinking about what to eat for lunch, my mind is already on dinner. And when I think about dinner, I want it to be quick, easy and not a lot of fuss, but it must be full of flavour and something I want to savor. That way I can enjoy the food, and still enjoy my evening.
Like this dish…it’s my easy Pesto Stuffed Chicken Breast, served over Garlic Pasta. Simple, but classy and elegant. I enjoy this with a glass of wine after a long day and I feel like I’m eating at a restaurant. Plus I don’t have to worry about cross contamination, or if I’m going to get sick from eating the food. That’s the best part to me!!
Here’s the Recipe…It’s a sneak peak at what’s to come….I hope you enjoy. And look out for the cookbook coming soon!! We’re about halfway through and it’s full of recipes for a whole month of dinners, plus a few desserts and some other surprises!
PESTO STUFFED CHICKEN BREAST
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 8 Tbsps Prepared Pesto (I used my Pesto Recipe)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2-3 tbsps Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, garlic powder, and pepper, mix to combine.
- Lay chicken on a cutting board or parchment sheet in one layer. Sprinkle with the salt mix on each side. Next, slice each chicken breast horizontally, careful not to cut all the way through creating a pocket for stuffing.
- In a bowl combine the pesto and the grated cheese. Mix to combine, then stuff the chicken breast with even amounts of the cheese and pesto mix. If the chicken breast is unable close, use two toothpicks to hold it together.
- In a large oven safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium to high heat. Sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on both sides to get a nice crust, using a pair of tongs to turn them. Finish cooking the chicken, by baking in the oven for 10 – 15 mins or until it is cook through.
- Once done, remove from oven, and serve over your favourite pasta or salad.
Note: If you don’t have a skillet large enough to cook all the chicken at the same time, simply sear them in two batches, then transfer to a baking tray and finish in the oven.
Take your pasta to the next level, but coating in a little garlic infused olive oil and a sprinkle of dried parsley. The garlic flavored pasta goes really well with the pesto.