If you’re like me, the hardest part of gluten free eating is breakfast. And sometimes, you want something fresh, homemade and delicious, not out of the freezer section of the grocery store (which is where most of the gluten free breads can be found.) But as you know most gluten free breads or similar items usually take a few hours to make and require quite a few ingredients that makes it difficult to make on a whim.
Enter our Gluten Free Cheddar Yogurt Biscuits!
A great place for inspiration for me is often those old cookbooks where the covers are falling apart and they are no longer in print. It just so happened that is found one of those treasure troves lying around the house the other day and while flipping through the pages I came across a Sour Cream Biscuit Recipe.
I didn’t have sour cream on hand, but when I opened the fridge I spotted a tub plain yogurt staring back at me and I thought why not substitute sour cream for yogurt?! It was a hit and a success!!
The yogurt helped add flavor and binding to the biscuits, which took them to the next level. And with a little tweaking we were able to create a Cheddar Biscuit Recipe that you will never guess is gluten free!!
Just grab a bowl and a few more ingredients that you have on hand and breakfast is done!! Here’s the recipe and video. We hope you enjoy!!
- 2 cups GF 1:1 Baking Flour
- 1 tbsp GF baking powder
- 2 tsps sugar or xylitol (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter or shortening
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/32 cup grated
- Preheat oven to 450°F and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl combine all the dried ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Next grate butter and add to the flour mixture mixing until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in grated cheese, then make a well in the center and add yogurt. Using spoon mix the yogurt into the flour mixture until a dough begins to form.
- Sprinkle your rolling surface with flour, turn the dough onto the surface and knead slightly until the mixture comes together.
- Pat and form into a circle about 3/4″ – 1″ in thickness, then using cookie cutter, biscuit cutter or glass, cut out circles. Reshaping dough and cutting agin until all the dough is used up.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until the biscuits are golden and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool slightly before serving.
- Add some butter or jam and enjoy!!