It’s dry season here in Trinidad and the air is a real mess. With the Sahara dust and the dust from the dried grass and shrubs my allergies are taking a real beating. And when I’m feeling under the weather, there’s nothing that works better to easy my symptoms and give me a boost that a bowl of soup.
Soup is one of my favorite dishes to make and enjoy. For me they are like a blank canvas, you can add almost anything and the flavors are amazing! But out of all the soups that I make, Chinese inspired ones are my definite fav. From Wanton to Chinese Chicken Corn, I just love the flavors and the simple broth that they have.
So when the weather started acting up, I started to make soup and today’s special is Chinese Chicken Corn. Just as good as takeout, but super simple, this soup only requires a handful of ingredients and can be done in about 15 – 20 minutes. My favorite kind of dish!
Here's the recipe. We hope you enjoy!
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (unsalted)
- 1 can creamed corn 15 oz
- 1 tbsp GF soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry (optional)
- 1-2 tsps ginger, finely minced or grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced or grated
- 1 tsp cornstarch, mixed with a tbsp of cold water or cold stock
- 1 egg, whisked well
- 1 chicken breast cooked, shredded or chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Sesame oil to finish
- In a pot or large sauce pan combine stock, creamed style corn, soy sauce or aminos, cooking wine, garlic, ginger and cornflour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium to high heat, then reduce to simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until the soup thickens slightly but not too much, remember to stir occasionally as well so that the corn doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once thickened remove from heat and using a fork, stir in the whisked egg, mixing while you pour so that ribbons of egg form in the soup.
- Once the egg is cooked and the ribbons formed, stir in the chopped chicken. Check for salt and pepper. Then let the soup sit for about 5 minuted before serving so that the chicken can heat through and the flavors blend together.
- Finish with a sprinkle of chopped green onions and a drizzle of sesame oil to serve. Then enjoy!!!
Organic Chicken Stock
Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos Soy-Free Seasoning Sauce -- 8 fl oz
Del Monte Canned Fresh Cut Golden Sweet Cream Style Corn, 14.75-Ounce
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.