Can you believe Mother’s Day is right around the corner? To me it was just Easter a couple of weeks ago and we were dreaming of Carrot Cake.
But as the saying goes, time waits on no one, so it’s down to the wire and were thinking up desserts for our Mother’s Day Menu. And I think we’ve got the perfect one with this Gluten Free Red Velvet Cake!
When I think of Mother’s Day desserts, I think of something rich and decadent to show mom how much we care. With it’s super moist texture, notes of chocolate and tanginess from the cream cheese buttercream, mom is sure to love this Red Velvet Cake as part of her Mother’s Day table.
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!! And wish your mom a Happy Mother’s Day from all of us at Off The Wheaten Path!
GLUTEN FREE RED VELVET CAKE
- 2 3/4 cups Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp xanthum gum (omit if your blend has gum)
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- 11/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tbsps red food colouring
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3 cups Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease, flour & line two 8″ cake pans or one 9″ x 13″ cake pan with parchment and set aside.
- In measuring cup or bowl combine milk and vinegar then set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthum gum (if needed) then set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar. Cream together until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Next add the eggs one at a time until well combined, about another 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix together.
- Next add the four mixture alternating with the flour mixture, beginning with flour and ending with flour, scraping down the sides as necessary, trying not to over mix the batter.
- Once mixed, divide the batter between the two pans or the single pan, smoothing out the surface with a spatula to ensure that the cake bakes even.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until a skewer stuck through the center comes out clean and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Once done, remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
FOR THE FROSTING
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add softened butter and cream cheese. Mix together until the butter and cheese are well combined.
- Next add Icing sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Finally add the vanilla and mix for another 2 minutes on medium to high until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Set aside until ready to use.
JUST A FEW NOTES:
- The Milk and Vinegar mixture can be substituted to buttermilk instead. Simply omit the vinegar and use 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk.
- Margarine works just as good as butter in this recipe.
- You can use up to 2 tbsps of food coloring in this recipe if you desire a deeper red color.
- For the cream cheese butter cream, if it’s too thin simply add more icing sugar until desired consistency has been achieved.