I don’t know about you, but this past week every day has felt like a Sunday. Maybe it’s because we’re home, places are closed and most of the day is spent in PJ’s. Haha. And with the days feeling like Sunday, we’re cooking up some dishes that are usually reserved for Sunday lunch in our house like this delicious and naturally Gluten Free Trinidad Corn Pie!
Oh the deliciousness that is Corn Pie! A simple but flavorful dish that goes so well with a side of Callaloo, Stewed Chicken or Baked Chicken. Perfect for Sunday Lunch, but delicious any day of the week!
What is Trinidad Corn Pie?
In Trinidad corn pie is a baked dish that is made with pimentos, sweet peppers, and onions, that have been sauted together and mixed with cornmeal, milk and of course whole kernel corn. It can sometimes be topped with cheese when baking (may favorite way) which gives it an additional flavor and beautiful golden colour.
Gluten Free Trinidad Corn Pie
As you know, corn is a naturally gluten free food. So this dish is naturally gluten free. However when choosing your ingredients, read the labels to ensure that they are gluten free. Some cornmeal brands are processed in facilities that have wheat and cross contamination can occur.
One of the products I use with this recipe is Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Stone Ground Corn Flour
Can this dish be made dairy free?
Making this dish dairy free is as easy as swapping out a few ingredients and leaving out one. Instead of evaporated milk, you can use Coconut Evaporated Milk or coconut milk in the can. And when it’s time to bake leave off the cheese or use a dairy free cheese such as this one from Daiya and you’ve got a dairy free treat!
What if you can’t get Pimento Peppers?
Pimento peppers are native to Trinidad and Tobago. Getting them abroad can be difficult, so we’ve tried this recipe using Anaheim Peppers, which give a great flavor to the dish. Simply use one Peppe in place of the 2 pimento peppers.
You may also like:
- 1 can of whole kernel corn
- 1 egg
- 1/2 ts salt
- 4 tbsps butter
- 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup cornmeal separated
- 2 pimentos peppers, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10 x 10 baking dish and set aside.
- In a measuring cup, drain the liquid from the can of whole kernel corn. Top it up with water until the total liquid reached 1 cup.
- In a medium bowl, add drained liquid with egg and whisk until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of cornmeal, salt and pepper. Mix until a smooth paste forms and set aside.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the onion, pimento and bell pepper and saute for a couple minutes until tender. Next add the evaporated milk, bring to a boil them remove from heat.
- Add the cornmeal and egg mixture to the milk and veggies, stir to combine, then add the whole kernel corn and the last 1/4 cup of cornmeal. Stir until well mixed, season with extra salt if needed then transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Smooth the top of the mixture using a spoon or spatula, then cover with grated cheese (about a cup or so) then bake for 30 - 35 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before cutting.