I don’t know about you, but after this quarantine I’m going to need to go on a diet! Haha. These past few weeks have been a real balancing act. Creating recipes for every meal of the day and trying not to bake too much. But one thing I could resist (among other things) was trying my hand at this Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Swiss roll or Chocolate Nutella Swiss roll.
If there is one thing that is always in my cupboard it’s a jar of Nutella or Gluten Free Hazelnut Spread. It’s the key ingredients in my favorite Gluten Free Nutella Brownies, and also works as a great frosting when I want to top some cupcakes. But I was looking for something a little different while at home and this Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Swiss Roll came to mind. And the result was a winner!
Swiss Roll, also known as Jelly Roll, Roll Cake or Cake Log, is a type of dessert where a sponge based cake is baked in a thin layer, and filled with jam, whipped cream or icing. It is one of those desserts that is a favorite in my house and while creating my Guava Jam Swiss roll for the cookbook, this Hazelnut Version came to me and I knew I just had to share.
Plus it is much easier to make than you would think and only requires a few tools.
SWISS ROLL PAN
When it comes to making a great Swiss roll or Jelly Roll, you need a thin layer of cake that can be rolled and then filled with jam to be rolled again. There is an actual pan called a jelly roll or swiss roll pan that measures 15” x 10” x 1”. This pan, allows the cake to be baked at a desired thickness and width, but if you can’t find one in these exact measurement, try one that is as close as possible for best results.
ROLLING & ASSEMBLING YOUR SWISS ROLL
When it comes to rolling your cake, it is a delicate process but easy. So don’t feeling intimidated. To create the roll in your cake. You need to roll it while it’s warm so that it can hold its shape. Trust me, you don’t want to roll the cake while its cool, you will end up with cake crumbles.
So this is one step you don’t want to skip or adjust. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, turn it out onto a dusted tea towel and roll immediately so that it can cool in a roll and hold its shape when it’s iced and re-rolled.
That is the hardest part of this recipe! Rolling the cake. Once it’s finished cooling it’s just to un-roll the cake, spread the icing and re-roll it gently. How easy is that!?!
Once it’s assembled it’s simply to spread it with some more Nutella or Hazelnut Spread, add some sprinkles and slice it up.
We served ours with some vanilla ice cream and a little more sprinkles on top, but you can save it up and way you like. Add some coffee, a little wine or simply enjoy it as is.
- 4 XL eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons milk + 1 teaspoon apple cider cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon GF 1:1 Baking Flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 jar of Nutella or Hazelnut Spread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper and set aside
- In a bowl, sift together GF flour, baking powder, and salt. Add coffee to dry mix then set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer beat eggs on high for 4 -5 minutes until pale in colour
- While still beating eggs, slowly add the sugar.
- Next add the oil, milk & vinegar mixture and vanilla. Continue beating for anoher minute to incorporate the wet ingerdeitns, then add in the sifted dry ingredients plus the instant coffee.
- Mix again until combined then pour batter into lined pan. Tilt the pan to spread out the batter evenly, using a spatual to spread to the edges.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until it springs back when touched.
- While cake is baking prepare to roll cake by laying a tea towel on a flat surface and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- When cake is done, immediately tur the cake onto the prepped towel. Remove the parchment paper and gently roll the cake in the towel starting at the short end. The tea towel will be on the inside of the cake as you roll.
- Set the cake aside to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is cooled, unroll gently and spread the hazelnut pread or Nutella evenly over the top.
- Roll the cake back up (this time without the towel in the center) and place seam side down on your srving dish.
- Using more Nutella or Hazelnut Spread, cover the outside of the Swiss Roll. Add some sprinkles, then slice and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.