Gluten Free Baked Potato Croquettes￼
Enjoy this well known bite-sized treat, gluten free with our Easy Gluten Free Baked Potato Croquettes!
If you’re like me, there are a handful of dishes that you remember your mom making for you. There are a number of them on my list, but one that I recall her making to go with many of our Sunday lunches are Potato Croquettes.
I will admit that I don’t think I’ve had these in years, especially since going gluten free. So while looking for something different to add to our Sunday lunch menu, I said why not take a page out of mum’s book and make Potato croquettes. But not regular ones of course, we are making Gluten Free Baked Potato Croquettes.
What are Croquettes?
Originally from France, croquettes we first made using scraps of meat. Since then they have taken on different forms and the most commonly known, well for me at least is the Potato croquette. Made with mashed or riced potato, rolled into a ball or log, dipped in flour, egg and breadcrumbs then fried. We’re skipping the fried part and baking them for a lighter version.
Making Gluten Free Baked Potato Croquettes
Ingredients you will need for Gluten Free Baked Potato Croquettes
- Potatoes – peeled, boiled and mashed. Lightly seasoned, with little butter and milk. The potatoes need to be easily molded
- Gluten Free Flour – we used regular 1:1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- Egg – this is to coat the potato before the breadcrumbs
- Gluten Free Breadcrumbs – with a little dash of paprika, this is what gives the finishing touch to the croquettes before baking.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for making Gluten Free Baked Potato Croquettes
- Peel, boil and mash the potatoes. Lightly season them and then set it aside to cool.
- Using a scoop, gather a small handful of potato. Roll it into a ball or log. Depending on how big you roll them you can get between 15-20 balls or logs. You can even put a chunk of cheese in the center at this point. This takes it from great to oh soooo yum!
- Let the logs rest for a bit then coat the balls in the gluten free flour, followed by the egg and finally in the gluten free bread crumbs.
- Place them on a baking tray that is lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake in a 400°F preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes until golden. Turning halfway through
- Once done, remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.