Carrot Coconut Cake
What would Easter be without dessert on the menu. And what better cake to bake than a Gluten Free Carrot Coconut Cake!
Carrot Cake has always been one of my favourtie cakes. And this one bowl version is so versatile, you can can in nuts and more, bake it as a cake, cupcakes or a loaf and still have great results. Definitely a winner in my books.
So here it is, my super easy Coconut Carrot Cake. Careful, this cake is addictive, so bake at your own risk! (lolll)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups coconut oil
- 4 XL eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups GF 1:1 Flour (I used Bobs Red Mill 1:1)
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 3/4 cups grated coconut
- 1/2 cups butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tsps milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease, flour and line two 8″ pans with parchment paper or a 9 x13″ cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, oil and sugar. Whisk until well blended and creamy then whisk in the vanilla.
- Next add GF flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk again to combine, then fold in the grated carrots and the coconut. (Note the batter will be a little thick)
- Evenly pour the batter into the prepared pans or pan and using the spatula smooth out the top. Bake for about 40 – 45 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out of the center clean.
- Let sit in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool.
- While the batter is cooling make the buttercream. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and shortening. Using the paddle attachment cream until smooth, then add the vanilla. Once the butter and vanilla is combined, add the icing sugar 1 cup at a time until all is used. Once all the icing sugar has been added, add the milk and whip on medium to high for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Once cake is cools, apply butter cream. then cut and enjoy!
Note: Cream Cheese buttercream is recommended, but we used regard butter cream to keep the cake dairy free. To make the cream cheese butter cream. Swap out the shortening for 8 oz cream cheese.