Pholourie is one of those dishes that holds very fond memories for me.
As a child, after school mum would take us to the Savannah and we’d each get a bag of about 8 – 10 of these delicious split peas fried dough balls, with a little bag of mango chutney to dip them in. It’s such a simple thing, but so delicious that it was one of those recipes that I just had to recreate.
This recipe is so easy and simple, that you can mix the dry ingredients, leave them in a bag or container and just add the wet ingredients and its ready to use.
There’s only one catch, once you start its hard to stop!!
Here it is:
- 2 cups split peas flour (ground split peas)
- 2 cups Gluten Free all purpose four blend*
- 4 tsps Gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 medium sized shadon beni leaves chopped to 1tbsp Cilantro
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups water**
- Coconut oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine split peas flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, tumeric, salt, garlic, and shadon beni or cilantro and mix until everything is combined.
- Create a well in the center, add yogurt and 1 cup of water. Beat mixture using a whisk or fork until a loose batter forms. If the batter is too thick, add the extra 1/2 cup of water until it reaches the right consistency for dropping.
- Set batter aside and allow to rest while oil is heated for frying.
- Once oil is hot enough, drop batter a teaspoon at a time, and deep fry until golden brown and well cooked, turning often to ensure even cooking.
- Once finished, remove from oil and allow to drain on a paper towel, brown paper or cooling rack.
- Serve with chutney or tamarind sauce and enjoy!!!
* I have used Hodgson Mills GF All Purpose Baking Flour & Dove’s Free From white with great results.
** The amount of water varies depending on the type of flour blend you use. Some require more water than others.
Heather P Chevalier
October 29, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Hi. I can’t have dairy. Want can I substitute for the yoghurt in this recipe? Are you on instagram? If not I can send it to you.
October 29, 2017 at 7:01 pm
Hi!!! I actually have a vegan recipe on instagram that has no diary.
Heather P Chevalier
October 30, 2017 at 4:02 pm