One of the plants that we in great supply is basil. And because its organic the flavor and aroma is amazing. So what do you do when you have lots of basil?! You make Pesto!
Italian dishes are among my favorite kind of food, and pesto is definitely in my top ten favorites. Traditionally pesto is made with basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and salt. But I have changed it up a bit, making it candida friendly and it tastes so good you won’t even know the difference. So then what do you do when you have lots of pesto?!?! You turn it into my ‘One Bowl – Chicken Pesto Pasta with Oven Roasted Tomatoes’.
I know it sounds complicated and a lot of work, but it only takes about 30 – 40 mins to prepare, its super delicious and perfect for that quick lunch or dinner.
First up lets make the pesto:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients except the olive oil.
- Blend for a couple seconds and then drizzle in the olive oil while its blending so that it mixes as it blends.
- Once you have added all the oil, continue to blend for about a minute or two so that everything is mixed and there are no chunks.
- Once finished, store in a glass jar in the fridge for about 1 to 2 weeks. If it lasts that long!
Now to make the Chicken Pesto Pasta:
For the tomatoes:
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
For the pasta:
- 2 cups dry GF penne pasta – I used quinoa
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast thinly sliced into strips
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup kefir cheese
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 1/2 tsp water
- 4 tbsp pesto
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 395 degrees F. In a small bowl place halved cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tsp garlic, salt and olive oil. Toss the tomatoes until they are fully coated and place on a foil covered baking sheet to roast for about 15 mins.
- Next, bring a pot of water to boil with a dash of salt, and cook pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water for later.
- While pasta and tomatoes are cooking. Cut the chicken breast into thin strips and season with salt, pepper and 1 clove of garlic.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium to high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about a minute or two), then add onion and sprinkle with salt and cook until translucent for about 5 mins or so.
Next, add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes stirring in between.
- Then add, oat milk, pasta water and kefir cheese stirring to combine and allow chicken to simmer for a few minutes. While chicken is simmering, mix cornstarch with 1 1/2 tsp of water. Add cornstarch mixture to the chicken along with the pasta and cook over medium to low heat until the sauce has thickened about 5 mins.
- Once sauce has thickened, add pesto, stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with roasted tomatoes, plate and enjoy!