It’s Gnocchi Time!
Italian is definitely one of my favorite types of cuisine. And one of my favorite dishes; next to pizza of course, is gnocchi. The first time I discovered these delicious bites of goodness I knew it was going to be one of my faves, and it was definitely one I needed to recreate gluten free.
Traditional gnocchi is simply a combination of potato, eggs, flour and salt, that is formed into a dough and cut into bite size pieces and boiled until cooked. My recipe uses basically the same ingredients with a little bit of tweaking and some adjustments to make these gluten free and delicious.
So for the Gnocchi:
- 1 egg
- 1 Medium Potato
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cups all purpose Gluten Free flour
- 1 tsp oat milk – (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic & herb seasoning (optional)
- Peel and cut potato into cubes and bring to boil in salted water.
- Once potato is boiled, remove from the fire, add to a bowl, mash and allow to cool until it’s warm and you can hold it comfortably in your hand without getting burned.
- Once cooled, add eggs, flour, salt and garlic & herb seasoning.
- Using a fork, mix together until it coarse dough begins to form, then continue kneading until it comes together to form a ball. If the dough is too dry, add tsp of oat milk or water to soften it up.
- Once dough ball has formed. Sprinkle counter surface with gluten free flour, and knead dough for a couple of seconds and then roll out into a snake about 3/4 thick.
- Using a knife, cut the snake into small pieces and using a fork roll the pieces over the back to create gnocchi grooves.
- Once you’re finished making the gnocchi, bring a pot of water to boil, add gnocchi and boil for a couple of minutes until they bring to float. Gnocchi is finished when they float.
- Gnocchi is now finished to eat as is or use in your favorite Italian dish.
I used it to make my Gnocchi in Pesto Cream Sauce with Chicken. Simply use:
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 chicken breast seasoned
- 2 tbsp of my homemade pesto
- 1 cup pasta water
- 1 cup oat milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp Gluten free flour
- Chopped Parsley
- In a skillet saute seasoned chicken in some olive oil and set aside.
- Next make cream sauce by adding butter in a skillet, melt and saute garlic and onions for a minute or two. Add the flour and cook for a minute, then add oat milk and about half of the pasta water to thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once sauce is thick add gnocchi, chicken and pesto to the sauce. Stir until everything is coated in the sauce and the pesto is incorporated. If the sauce is too thick, add some of the left over gnocchi water to loosen it up.
- Finally add some chopped parsley and salt to taste if needed. Plate up and enjoy!!