Creamy, Cream Free Mushroom Soup
When the weather outside is frightful, a bowl of cream of mushroom soup is most delightful. But of course, cream is a no no and what would cream of mushroom soup be without the cream.
Cream of mushroom soup is definitely one of my favorite soups, with the earthy but meaty flavor of the mushrooms and the silky creaminess of the cream. So much so, that when I was sitting my culinary finals, cream of mushroom soup featured as mu second course. It’s just one of those things for me that’s too good to give up and I was determined to find an alternative.
I tried almond milk but it didn’t do the trick and then I discovered oat cream. And it was a hit! It gave me the creaminess that I wanted without changing the flavor. In word, it came out awesome and I had to share it.
Here’s the recipe:
Makes 2 servings
- 1/2 lb mushrooms (I’ve tried it with button & baby bella with great results)
- 3 tbsp grass fed butter or ghee
- 1 cup of oat cream
- 1 1/2 cups stock (chicken, beef or vegetable, it’s your choice.)
- 3 tbsp parsley chooped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tbsp GF All Purpose Flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop mushrooms, onions, parsley, and garlic and set aside until ready.
- In a sauce pan, heat butter or ghee over medium to high heat until melted. Add mushrooms, garlic, onion and parsley, cooking until the mushrooms have melted and the onions are translucent.
- Once the mushrooms have cooked down a bit, add the GF all purpose flour and stir to incorporate it into the mixture.
- Next add the stock, and stir again. Finally add the oat cream and mix well. reduce heat to simmer and cook until mixture has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The enjoy!
For a little twist, I added 3/4 cup shredded chicken and created a cream of mushroom and chicken soup.
July 14, 2017 at 3:17 pm