Making Over The Old PB&J
I know I’ve said this before but I have many favorite foods, and among those favorites Peanut Butter and Jelly is right there at the top. There’s just something about the nuttiness of the peanuts and the sweet fruitiness of the jam that calls to me on so many levels.
But of course, jam is made with sugar, which is a BIG no no on a candida diet. But I was determined to find a way to enjoy my PB & J candida friendly. And after a few tries I’ve definitely gotten it figure out. When I first made this recipe it came out so good, I started doing a happy dance and I’ve been recreating it ever since.
It’s easy, simple and the best part is there’s no canning involved, it only has 3 ingredients and it’s candida friendly!
- 3 Cups of strawberries (Fresh or Frozen Chopped)
- Juice of half a lemon 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup xylitol
- In a sauce pan, combine strawberries, xylitol and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium to high heat, stirring periodically until the fruit starts to soften and the sauce starts to thicken. About 10 – 15 mins. To check doneness, use the cold plate method, but dropping a spoon of the jam on a frozen plate and seeing if it runs.
- Remove from heat. Pour into mason jam jar. Allow to cool and store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. If it lasts that long!