It’s December!! And with Christmas as right around the corner, what could be more fitting to share than cookies, but not just any cookies, Almond Vanilla Sugar Cookies.There’s nothing like the classics and this recipe, inspired from my grandmas 60 year old recipe book was the perfect way to kick off December…and my Christmas cookie baking. Even better than regular sugar cookies, these are crunchy, not too sweet, with a delicate almond flavor. Plus they are super simple and they’re great for getting the whole family involved.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 Cups GF 1:1 Baking Flour + more for rolling out. (I’ve used a homemade blend and Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 with great results)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essensce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp anthem gum (unless your dough already has gum in it)
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Next, using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream together softened butter and sugar.
- Stir in the essences, then add the egg and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Add the flour, in two portions mixing until smooth after each addition. Once all the flour is added, a soft dough would have formed. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before rolling out.
- Grease a or line a baking sheet with parchment and preheat the oven to 400 ° F about 10 minutes before baking the cookies.
- Sprinkle surface with flour before turing the dough out onto the counter. Knead the dough a little to bind, then sprinkle the surface with more flour, sprinkle on top and using a rolling pin, roll the dough to about 1/4″ thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out desired shapes, place on the baking tray and bake for about 20-25 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Finsh with your favorite frosting or simply add a glass of milk and leave them for Santa!!