Life has taken a really interesting turn. These days we’re staying indoors more, so it’s all about finding new things to do, and for all the mom’s out there, finding treats that are simple and fun for the kiddos. And we’ve got a great snack here that will please the little tastebuds and the grown up ones too. It’s my new recipe for Gluten free Orange and Cream Mini Cookie Cups.
It may sound like a mouthful, but one bite of these Gluten Free Cookie Cups and you’ll be hooked. Inspired by my Gluten Free Cheesecake Cookie Tarts from the Homemade for the Holidays Cookbook. These are the perfect treat with spring in the air and baking up an easy and unique snack.
GLUTEN FREE ORANGE & CREAM COOKIE CUPS
Over Christmas, we made a Holiday version of these by adding some Holiday Jam and flavors to the recipe. But with spring and all the fresh fruit in the air, I thought a citrus version would be a nice twist. And the results were a hit! The orange and cream cheese flavor combo was a winner.
But if you’re not into orange simply swap it our for some lemon, and you’ve got a real fresh dessert.
MAKING COOKIE CUPS
Making these mini cookie cups or tarts, is as simple as using a sugar cookie dough and baking it in a mini cupcake pan. You then add your filling and serve them up as a mini dessert.
That way when you bite into them you get a little filling and a nice chance of cookie. Give me a cup of tea and I’m in a happy place.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
For the Cookies
- 2 cups GF Baking Blend
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest
- 1 large egg
For the Filling:
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup greek yogurt, plain
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sprinkles for decoration
- In a large bowl, sift together the our, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, cream together softened butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and continue to beat until the ingredients are fully incorporated, then stir in the essence and orange or lemon zest.
- Next, add the flour in two portions mixing until well incorporated after each addition.
- Once all the flour is added, a soft dough would have formed. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour before rolling out.
- About 10 minutes before baking the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll out cookie dough about 1⁄4 inch thick. Using a 2 inch cookie cutter or regular drinking glass cut out 24 circles.
- In the well of two 12 cup mini cupcake pans, place the circles pressing down the center and up the sides to ll each one. If there is any excess cookie above the cups, simply cut out using a knife.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes until slightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing and placing on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- While cookies are baking, make filling by whisking together cream cheese and yogurt until well combined.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar mixing again until smooth.
- Once cookies are cool, spoon or pipe filling into the center of each cookie. Top with sprinkles and enjoy!