There’s nothing like curling up with a bowl of pasta, covered in sauce on a rainy afternoon. I love the rain, and this rainy season has been a very wet one, so Saturday afternoons have become about curling up with a warm bowl of pasta, while watching a movie or reading a good book. And creating new recipes!
First up on the recipe list is this Roasted Red Pepper Skillet Pasta. It’s a combination of gluten free pasta, chicken and spinach in a creamy roasted red pepper sauce. Using kefir cheese instead of milk, it’s light delicious and all about flavor.
Usually I would roast the red peppers myself, but I just happened to find one in the grocery that was free from preservatives and just the right amount needed for this dish.
However, you can still make your own, you’ll need about 3 red peppers to do so and directions for roasting them can be found in my Spaghetti, Zucchetti recipe.
Now let’s get started!
- 1 – 16 oz Jar of Roasted Red Peppers (drained)
- 6 oz – dried pasta (cooked according to directions)
- 2 chicken breast, boned and sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups Spinach – Washed
- Handful of basil – Chopped
- 1/3 cup Kefir cheese
- 1 onion – Chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – Chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup pasta water reserved after cooking
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Extra salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the chicken, by deboning it and cutting it into bite sized pieces. Season with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 tsp salt and a pinch of black pepper. Set aside until ready to use.
- Next cook pasta according to instructions, setting aside 1 cup of pasta water before draining. Then set aside pasta until ready to use.
- Also prepare the onions, garlic, red peppers and basil by chopping them and setting aside until ready to use.
Now to combine your dish.
- In a skillet heat olive oil over medium to high heat. Add seasoned chicken and saute for 5 – 7 mins until chicken is tender. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp butter. Add garlic and onions, stir until combined then add chopped red peppers. Cook together for about 5 mins, then transfer to a food processor. Blend until it resembles a rough smooth paste then return to skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of reserved pasta sauce and 1/3 cup of kefir cheese and Stir until the cheese has been incorporated and a smooth sauce begins to form
- Add pasta, chicken and spinach, stirring until everything is coated in the roasted red pepper sauce. Finish by sprinklin with the basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. You can also topple with lactose free cheese for additional creaminess and flavor!
- Add to a bowl and enjoy!
Just a few notes:
- If you find the sauce is too thick, add some more pasta water and it will thin out.
- If you find it;s too thin, add some more kefir cheese and it will thicken up.
- If you are using your own roasted red peppers, you may need to add more salt as the ones in the jar tend to have salt in them already
- Sometimes I add a little xylitol at the end to offset some of the acidity, but that is optional and depends on your taste.