V-Day is right around the corner, and I’ve always thought of Valentine’s Day as a day created by card companies to sell cards and flowers. But I am a fan of love. Love for family, friends and significant others. If you’re celebrating valentine’s day, whether it be with someone special or special persons in your life, these Gluten Free Citrus Sponge Cupcakes are a great way to share the love.
Traditionally, the go to flavor for Valentine’s Day is Chocolate. I am a big chocolate fan, but sometimes it’s nice to change things up and I do love a good sponge cake. With its light and delicate texture, it’s the perfect vessel for different flavors and we’ve combined, orange and lemon to create a Gluten Free Citrus Sponge Cupcake!
Whole cakes are great but cupcakes are a lot more fun, especially when you want to share with others. The great thing with cupcakes too is that you can use almost any regular cake batter and turn them into cupcakes. Simply bake them in cupcake pans and reducing your baking time.
That’s what we did with this recipe. We took our Lemon Sponge Loaf recipe, changed up the flavor a little, added some heart sprinkles, topped it with a smooth buttercream and created this new and festive recipe for Gluten Free Citrus Sponge Cupcakes, perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Whether you’re sharing this with friends, family or that special someone, these cupcakes are cute and deliciousness all wrapped up in one.
We even topped some with Chocolate Frosting and the Citrus Chocolate Combination was a real winner!
Just a few tips for making these Gluten Free Citrus Sponge Cupcakes
- Sponge cakes are delicate cakes that get their lightness from the method in which the cake is made. Read the recipe from start to finish before you begin and follow the directions. It’s the key to making these cupcakes great!
- Change up the sprinkles. We used pink heart sprinkles for that valentines’s day look, but you can use any kind of sprinkles in this recipe or even leave them out for an elegant cupcake.
- We used prepackaged frosting for our cupcakes, but you can add your favorite buttercream recipe.
- 2 XL Eggs
- 1 cup Gluten Free Flour, 1:1 Baking Blend
- 1 cup Xylitol or Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup milk or dairy free milk
- 2 tbsp Lemon Infused Coconut oil (or plain is fine too)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp guar gum (omit if blend already has in it)
- 3 tablespoons heart sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 12 cup cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- Next, prepare your wet and dry ingredients. In a bowl sift together flour, gum, salt and baking powder then set aside.
- In another bowl or measuring cup combine milk, orange juice, vanilla and coconut oil then set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat the eggs for 4 mins with the paddle attachment over medium to high speed.
- Add the sugar, and beat again for another 4-5 minutes until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Reduce the mixer to low, add the flour and mix until just combined. Add the milk mixture and beat again just to combine the ingredients.
- If adding sprinkles, add them now and fold in gently.
- Using a cup measure, divide the batter evenly among the 12 prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the edges of the cupcakes are just golden and a toothpick stuck through the center comes out clean.
- Once finshed, remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on a cooling rack. Top with your favourite buttercream and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.