It’s Lemon Love with this GF Lemon Sponge Loaf
If there’s one thing I love, it’s a good sponge cake. The way the cake just springs back when you take a bite and melt’s in your mouth…to me that is magic.
I have very fond memories of sponge cake too. My grandmother used to make one mean lemon sponge and to this day it is still my favorite kind. With the brightness of the lemon, there’s nothing that beats it…well maybe chocolate cake. (Haha)
So of course, being gluten free, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the finer things like cake and this one is just right. It’s so good you can’t even tell it’s gluten free. Plus it’s refined sugar free too!!
Based on a sponge cake recipe from a site called cake boss, that I discovered a couple of years ago before I made the GF switch. It’s a real stickler for directions, but so worth it in the end.
I’ve made a couple tweaks that makes it easier and given this loaf a new coat with a basil cream cheese buttercream (trust me it’s worth it). I really hope you give it a try and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup GF All Purpose Flour (I used my own homemade blend)
- 1 cup Xylitol or Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup milk or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Lemon Infused Coconut oil (or plain is fine too)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
Directions. (Make sure you follow them well!)
- Let’s start by preparing your wet and dry ingredients. In a bowl sift together flour, gum and baking powder then set aside. In another bowl or measuring cup combine milk, lemon juice, vanilla and coconut oil then sent aside.
- Now to start making the cake! In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the eggs for 4 mins with the paddle attachment over medium to high speed.
- Add the xylitol or sugar and beat for another 5 mins until light and fluffy.
- Reduce the mixer to low, add the flour and mix until just combined. Add the milk mixture and beat again just to combine the ingredients.
- Pour batter into a lined 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake at 350° F for about 35 – 40 mins or until the cake is golden and a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Let sit in the pan for about 10 mins, then transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup grass fed butter softened
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 2 -3 tbsps xylitol
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp Lemon Infused Coconut oil
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese and the butter. Mix until well combined.
- Add the 2 tbsp xylitol and vanilla, mix again. Slowly drizzle in the lemon oil a tbsp at a time until the flavor is desired. Check your frosting for taste. If it’s not sweet enough, add more xylitol.
- Frost loaf and enjoy!!!