Potato and Green Fig Salad
As it says in the book Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon, (a must read for everyone!) there are no new ideas. And as time has gone by I have seen how recipes have not changed, but rather evolved. With that being said, I’m here to say that I ‘stole’ this recipe from my mom! (LOL – but I guess it’s not stealing if she knows) It’s her Green Fig and Potato Salad!!
I know it sounds like such a weird combination, but it works so well together, with the softness from the potatoes and the crunch from the green fig, it has been a common side dish in our house. Oh and for those who aren’t sure, green figs are really green bananas.
I can’t say for sure how long my mum has been doing this, but it’s been there are long as I can remember and I thought it’s time I shared.
So here it is! Made like a regular potato salad, its a great healthy way to replace your regular side dish, plus it’s a great addition in any meal, and was a welcome change with my Vegan Black Bean Chili (recipe to come). I hope you enjoy!
- 3 medium potatoes
- 6 small to medium green figs (or green bananas)
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 2 stalks parsley chopped
- 1/2 medium carrot chopped and blanched (Blanch them by cooking in hot water for a couple of minutes)
- 1 tbsp xylitol or honey
- 4 – 6 tbsp mayo (or as much as desired)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the potatoes by peeling them, cutting them into cubes and boiling until tender. Prepare the green figs. by cutting off the top and bottom then sliding down the side and boiling until tender. (about 20 mins or so)
- Once potatoes are done, add them to a bowl. Peel the cooked green fig cut them into pieces and add them to the bowl with the potato. Stir to combine.
- Next add 4 tbsp mayo, onion, blanched carrots, parsley and xylitol. Mix until well combined. If you would like you could always add more mayo, it depends on your taste. We like it a little on the dry side.
- Finally season with salt and pepper to taste, add to a bowl, enjoy right away or refrigerate and enjoy later!! It’s as simple as that!!