Add an apple, a little cinnamon, a dash of love and a whole lot of goodness…what do you get?!?!? This absolutely delicious, healthy, vegan Upside Down Apple Loaf!
One of the first recipes I tried when I started exploring the world of Gluten Free Baking was a Pineapple Upside Down Cake that I found on the What The Fork Blog. Since then I’ve been loving the idea of Gluten Free baking. It has become a challenge that I love, trying to find new ways of creating flavors and making new recipes. And this Upside Down Apple Loaf does not disappoint!
This cake is a twist on the traditional Pineapple Upside Down Cake, using apples instead and baked as a loaf making it the perfect slice for breakfast or dessert. It packs a whole lot of flavor in every bite it is sure to hit the spot every time! Plus it’s vegan and gluten free and of course easy!
So here it is….my Apple Upside Down Vegan + GF Loaf. Plus look out for a recipe video for this coming soon.
- 1 1/2 Cups GF All Purpose Flour (I used Bobs Red Mill)
- 1 cup Applesauce
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar + more for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon + extra
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 apple sliced
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Prepare your loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper an placing a layer of apples. Drizzle with coconut oil, sprinkle with some brown sugar and cinnamon then set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, GF all purpose flour and cinnamon and set aside.
- In another bowl combine the applesauce, coconut oil, vinegar, water and vanilla. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until combined, pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 350° F for about 50 mins until golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for a couple of minutes before removing. Once removed, let cool on a cooling rack before removing the parchment paper.
- Once completely cooled, turn over and dust with icing sugar (optional). Slice, Serve and Enjoy!!!