Happy October my Gluten Free Foodies! It’s a new month and that means it’s an opportunity for new beginnings. And we’re off to a great start with my three month visit to Calgary!
It’s sooooo exciting! There’s so much to see, do and of course create. I have so many recipes in my head and ideas that I had to start writing them down before they all disappeared. And on that has been rolling around in my head for quite some time are these Gluten Free Banana Poppy Seed Muffins.
A couple of weeks ago on my visit the Gourmet store I happened across a bag of poppy seeds with great intentions of making Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins. But Lemons can be hard to find and as time went by I started to think of other ways I could use the poppy seeds and these muffins were the perfect choice.
Light and delicious, naturally sweet from the bananas with a mild poppyseed taste, these muffins made the perfect grab and go breakfast snack. Plus the freeze so well and last up to 2 – 3 months in the that they became my new favorite way to use up those ripe bananas that I have on the counter from time to time. They also inspired me to start writing my Gluten Free Baking Book. Something that has been dancing around my head for the longest while along with my Online Baking Course. So many ideas!!!
But back to the muffins, here’s the recipe. They only need one bowl, a handful of ingredients that I’m sure you have inside you’re pantry. Making these one of those great recipes that you can whip up easily.
I hope you guys enjoy! And don’t forget to tag us on social media and let us know how they come out.
Happy October again Foodies! Lookout for more new and exciting treats coming your way!
- 3 Ripe Bananas Mashed (about 1 cup)
- 2 Cups GF 1:1 Baking Flour
- 1 tbsp GF Baking Powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 XL eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or xylitol
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted) or Neutral oil
- 1/4 cup poppyseeds
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup water or milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the gluten free flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon then set aside.
- In another bowl add mashed bananas, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and 1/3 cup water or milk and whisk until creamy.
- Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, add the wet and mix until a lose batter forms and the batter is just combined. If the batter is too dry, add water 1 tbsp at a time until it loosens up. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Next fold in the poppyseeds. Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan filling them about 3/4 way up.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden and a toothpick stuck through the center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly before serving.