I must say, out of all the plants and herbs we grow, basil has to be the easiest and the one that grows the most. It feels like almost every week there’s tons of basil on the counter and there’s just so much basil you can eat in one week. So what’s a girl to do?!?!? Make Pesto!!!
Pesto has to be one of my most favorite ways to use basil. Not only is it super easy to make, it’s delicious, plus it tastes pretty great on almost everything! So while trolling Pinterest looking for inspiration I came across a most brilliant way to use some of the many jars of pesto in the freezer….Chicken Pesto Meatballs.
This dish came about almost by accident when I was looking for a pesto sauce for my meatballs. Then I thought to myself why not put it inside of the meatballs instead of just on it. So after searching a little, then with some mixing and tweaking, I think I came up with a combo that is Easy, Dairy Free, Gluten Free and Delicious.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! Here’s the recipe + the video:
- 1 lb ground chicken thawed
- 2 tbsps homemade pesto (or store bought)
- 1 egg
- 1 heaping tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tsp sea salt (or a little more depending on your taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine minced chicken, pesto, egg, garlic, tapioca, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Trying not to over mix it.
- Next using your hand or a spoon, scoop out a small amount of the chicken mixture. Roll in hands until a ball forms, and place it on the parchment paper. Continue with the rest of the mixture until all is used up. (You should get about 12 – 14 meatballs)
- Bake at 375 F for about 15 – 20 mins. (Depending on how big your meatballs are. Try not to over bake them as they might get dry.)
- Remove from pan. Add to your favorite GF pasta. Drizzle with olive oil and top with more pesto. Then enjoy!!!
Note: You can also top with cheese if you aren’t dairy free or even add them to some pasta sauce! The possibilities are endless!!!!!
My Final Dish…..