One of the things I love about the Caribbean is the variety of Citrus fruits. Among my favorites, is the grapefruit. With its sweet and tangy flavor, I love it squeezed for juice, pegged for snacking and one of my new favorite ways baked in cake. Especially as a Gluten Free Grapefruit Pound Cake.
Growing with my grandmother in the country areas of Trinidad, fruit was always on the snack list. We would simply go outside pick what we wanted from the trees and bring it up to be prepared for snacking. These traditions bring back fond memories for me and when I saw a pile of grapefruits at the market stand, I was so excited that I bought way to many.
MAKING A GLUTEN FREE GRAPEFRUIT POUND CAKE?
For this cake you need Grapefruits (of course) in any variety. The most commonly know grapefruit is the pink grapefruit. But any variety can work. We used the white variety in our pictures and one of the test batches with just as flavorful results. So no matter which variety you find, it can be used in this recipe.
We used plain whole milk yogurt in this recipe. We have not tested it with dairy free yogurt but if you do, please comment and let us know!
- 1 1/2 cups GF 1:1 Baking Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 teaspoons GF Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup of White Sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or neutral oil
- 3 XL eggs
- Zest of 2 grapefruits
Grapefruit Simple Syrup
- 4 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchement or spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl combine, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to comein then set aside.
- In another bowl comebine eggs, yogurt, oil, suagr and vanilla. Whisk to combine, then add the zest from the grapefruits and whisk again.
- Sift in the dry ingredients, then switching to a spoon or spatual, fold the dry ingredietns into the wet carefully until just combine.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, smoothing out the top, and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until golden and a tester stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool, then remove from pan.
- While you cake is cooling prepare the grapefruit simple syrup by combing 1/4 cup sugar with 4 tablespoons grapefruit juice in a small sauce pan. Heat until a syrup consisteny has formed and the suagr completely meleted.
- Carefully spoon the syrup over the cake so that it can be absored into the cake.
- To finish with the glaze, combine the powdered sugar with the grapefruit juice until smooth. Pour over cake, slice and serve.