Chocolate Zucchini Loaf Cake
There is a saying that eating Chocolate is like eating a salad, because it comes from a tree!! (Loll) Oh how I wish this were true. I would be eating chocolate everyday!! Well, it may not be a salad but at least we can add some veggies to it and make a cake!
When I think of Zucchini, the furthest thing from my mind is Chocolate. But whoever thought of putting them together, especially in a cake, it is genius!! I mean…veggies, in a cake? I don’t know why but it definitely works. Especially in this Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread!
Oh how I love this recipe. So simple but rich and delicious. It’s a great go to cake in a hurry. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
PS. Sorry about no step-by-step pics.
- 1 cup GF All Purpose Flour (with gum or add 1/2 tsp gum) (I used Bobs Red Mill 1:1)
- 1/2 cup cocoa or carob powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup greek plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare loaf pan by lining with parchment paper or greasing and flouring it with gluten free all purpose flour.
- Start by shredding the zucchini with a grater on the large side. Place in a bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients except the sugar. Whisk to combine then fold in 3/4 cup of the mini chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, oil, vanilla, sugar and yogurt. Whisk until smooth.
- Next mix the wet into the dry, stirring until well combined and there aren’t any lumps left, then fold in the zucchini.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it with a spatula. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup left over chocolate chips over the top, then bake for 45 – 50 mins until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly in the pan before removing. Let cool completely, slice and enjoy!!!
Just a couple of notes:
- I didn’t squeeze the excess water out of the zucchini on purpose. I found that the batter needed the extra liquid.