Black Forest Cake turned to Black Forest Cupcakes? Who knew it could be done!
Black Forest Cake turned to Black Forest Cupcakes? Who knew it could be done!!!For as long as I can remember, Black Forest Cake was always around for Birthday’s and special occasions. It was the one thing you knew would be on the menu and up to this day, that tradition hasn’t changed. We still desire the flavors of Black Forest Cake and the specialness surrounding it.
So this year for my Birthday and Dad’s I decided to revive the tradition, and not only recreate that Black Forest Flavor that we love, but also make it into bite size cupcakes that are sure to please and are so much more fun! And so this recipe for Black Forest Cupcakes was born.
SO WHAT IS BLACK FOREST CAKE?
Traditionally Black Forest Cake is a layered cake from Germany consisting of layers of chocolate cake with cherries and whipped cream, then covered in shaved chocolate, with the addition of a German cherry liqueur known as Kirschwasser.
Doesn’t that just sound amazing?
So the challenge was taking this traditional layered cake and turning it into cupcake goodness. And our mission was accomplished!
With a few adjustments and a little experimenting, we were able to create a Black Forest Cupcake that is so delicious and reminiscent of the ones we used to have that we don’t even miss the original.
Plus it’s vegan too! How great is that? So grab a bowl, print out the recipe and give it a try if you miss this cake as much as we did!! Enjoy!
For the Filling
- 1/4 cup golden rum
- 1/2 cup pre-made cherry pie filling
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup GF Baking Flour (I used Bobs Red Mill 1:1)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar or xylitol
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp guar gum or xanthum gum (omit if blend already has)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl combine rum and cherry filling mixing together until smooth and set aside unitl ready.
- Line a 12 cupcake pan with liners and set aside while you make the cake.
- In bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients except the sugar. In another bowl combine the dairy free milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla. Whisk to combine then add the sugar and coconut oil, whisking to combine well.
- Next add the dry ingredients and whisk together until there are no lumps and batter is well combine.
- Using a measuring cup, fill the prepared cupcake liners about 2/3 - 3/4 way with batter, spreading it evenly among the 12 cupcakes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 18 - 20 minutes or until a skewer stuck through the center comes out clean. Once done remove from oven and let cool.
- Once your cupcakes are cool, using a piping tip or knife, remove 3/4 of the center of the cupcakes.
- Using a teaspoon, fill each cupcake with about 1 tsp to 1 1/2 tsp of the rum liquid from the filling.
- Next using the same spoon, place 1-2 cherries in the center on top of the liquid.
- Finally top with whipped cream or for a vegan option use dairy free buttercream, finish with a cherry and chocolate shavings. Then Enjoy!
What makes this recipe shine is really the cherry filling, so you can use almost any chocolate cake recipe and follow the steps for the filling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bobs Red Mill, Baking Flour 1 To 1 Gluten Free
Simply Natural Coconut Oil
Bragg USDA Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, with The Mother 16 Ounces Natural Cleanser, Promotes Weight Loss
GRACE CARIBBEAN COCONUT MILK
NOW Foods Xylitol, 2.5-Pound
Bob's Red Mill Baking Powder
Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda
Simply Organic Vanilla Flavoring, 4 Ounce
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g