If you love coconut then this is the recipe for you! These Cranberry Coconut Drops are delicious and light, from using the HOSTESS SLIM SPREAD from CGA Ltd and best of all they are Gluten Free!
With a definite crunch from the coconut, a touch of sweetness from the cranberries and the brown sugar, it’s the perfect snack for afternoon tea or your morning coffee break.
Coconut Drops are a definite Trinidadian favorite. My family loves them, but of course regular drops are full of Gluten and much too sweet for my liking. So when I decided to create this recipe, one of the things I knew I needed to do besides replace the gluten, was to cut back on the sugar.
This recipe call for either brown sugar or coconut sugar, instead of the refined white sugar and combined with the Hostess Slim, it’s Lactose Free for all those dairy intolerant folks out there.
So here is the recipe! I hope you enjoy.
Makes 12 Drops
- 1 Cup GF All Purpose Flour *
- 3 cups Grated Coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Cup Hostess Slim or Hostess Regular
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 cup water minus 1 tbsp
- 2 tsps cinnamon (I used organic)
- 1/3 cup cranberries dried
- 2 Eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Agave or Honey for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare your sheet tray by lining it with a sheet of parchment paper then set aside.
- In medium to large bowl, cream together HOSTESS SLIM or HOSTESS REGULAR with with brown sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the creamed mixture, whisking together well after each addition.
- Next add water and vanilla essence, then whisk again.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well, but try not to over mix.
- Fold in Grated Coconut, then the dried cranberries. Note the batter will be thick.
- Using a cup measure or spoon, drop the batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden.
- Remove, drizzle with honey or agave while hot and enjoy!!!
I have tried this recipe with Bobs Red Mill 1:1, Organ All Purpose GF Flour and King Arthur Flour GF All Purpose with great results. All these contain gum except the King Arthur which I added a 1/2 tsp Guar Gum to the recipe just to ensure it binds.