Just by looking at me you wouldn’t think it but as with most people in Trinidad we’re all mixed up and on my dad’s side we have some East Indian roots. And although I mightn’t want it everyday, they’re times when Trinidad infused Indian cuisine is something that I crave and one of the things I love next to Pholourie is Saheena! And these Gluten Free Sahenna will not disappoint.
A favourite not only for me but also my family and friends, I decided to create a gluten free version that was quick, easy to enjoy and simple enough for anyone to make.
Made from Dasheen Bush (or Taro Leaves), it can be rolled or chipped up and added to a batter then deep fried. We chose the latter and turned them into little Gluten Free Saheena Bites that are full of flavor and so easy to enjoy. Especially when served with my Mango Chutney.
- 1 cup + 2 tbsps GF 1:1 (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 with great results)
- 2/3 cup + 2 tbsps Split peas flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cup Dasheen Bush or taro leaves finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- Coconut Oil for frying
- In a large bowl combine the dried ingredients and whisk to combine well.
- Add the Dasheen Bush and using a fork stir together to make sure the leaves are evenly distributed throughout the flour.
- Pour the water into the flour mixture and using the fork stir as your pour so that a batter begins to form and there are now flour lumps.
If the batter seems to dry, simply add more water a tbsp at a time until desired texture has been reaches.
- Heat a pot of oil to deep fry the Saheena.
Using 2 spoons, drop a heaping tablespoon of batter into the oil carefully. Fry until golden on the outside and the center is cooked, turning as they fry to ensure even cooking. About 3 minutes or so.
Try not to over crowd the pan as this can affect the quality of the saheenna as it fries.
- Once the Saheena is done, remove from oil and let drain on a cooling rack or plate lined with paper towels.
Simply serve with your favorite chutney and enjoy!!!