There are just some recipes that stick with you and become your favorite. But for me, there are just too many favorite recipes. So instead of having a favorite recipe, I have a recipe of the week that tops all the others. Like my easy GF pholourie. When I first began this GF journey, pholourie is one of those things that I just had to remake. Those yummy bites of split peas goodness, deep fried and served with chutney, they hold so many fond memories of my childhood, that to tell me that I could no longer enjoy it was definitely out of the question. So I created what I thought for me was the best alternative and GF recipe.
But, as time has gone by along this journey, I have come to realize that there are so many people who are not only GF, but also vegan and have other allergies that I don’t. So to make sure that everyone can partake of this delightful dish. I went back to the drawing board and created what I believe to be the best Vegan + GF alternative to my original recipe.
It’s still pillow soft and full of flavor, so I’m sure it will hit the spot.
Here it is + a recipe video! Enjoy!!!!
- 2 cups split peas flour
- 2 cups GF all purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp shadow beni or cilantro
- 4 tsp GF baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups water
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients
- Mix together well, then add the garlic and the shadow beni. Mix again, then slowly add 2 cups of water and the apple cider vinegar
- Whisk until a loose batter forms. If it’s too thick, add more water, 1 tbsp at a time until it loosens up and the desired consistency is reached.
- Finally using a spoon, scoop a tablespoon at a time into hot coconut oil, and deep fry for a couple of minutes until nice and golden. Stirring while frying to ensure even cooking and color.
- Allow to drain on a paper towel, then serve with chutney or enjoy by itself.