When it comes to chocolate chip cookies, there always seems to be the debate about whether they should be crunchy or chewy. For me it’s just a matter of taste!! Soft, chewy, crunchy…it doesn’t matter to me as long as it tastes great!! And these Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies fall into the Crunchy category, but one thing for sure is they are a winner in the flavor category!
My family…well my little sister at least…is full of cookie lovers. And among all the cookies I’ve made, chocolate chip seems to be the most requested. I guess when you think about it, you get a little bit of chocolate and cookie in one bite…what could be better!
So armed with a few different recipes, it became my goal to create a gluten free chocolate chip cookie replica that we could enjoy when that cookie craving hits. And I think with this recipe we succeeded!! Especially if you love crunchy cookies!!
Not soft and chewy like a traditional chocolate chip cookie, they have a distinct crunch as you take the first bite, then they melt in your mouth and give you that yummy chocolate chip cookie taste.
Made with coconut oil they have to be chilled a little differently to regular cookie dough, but with the addition of vegan chocolate chips, they are perfect for those with diary allergies!! Here’s the recipe…I hope you enjoy!!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups GF all purpose flour *
- 1 free range eggs
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz or 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- In a bowl whisk together GF flour, guar gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt then set aside.
- In another bowl cream together coconut oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla until creamy and frothy.
- Slowly incorporate the dry mix into the wet and mix until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover batter with plastic wrap and chill dough for 30 minutes, mixing the dough halfway through. (Note that the dough will be a little runny so chilling is a key step!!)
- While dough is chilling, preheat your oven and prepare 2 baking trays by lining with parchment paper. Once dough is chilled and you can create scoops that hold together, it’s time to create your cookies.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place 6 cookies per tray onto prepared sheet. (They spread out when they bake so you don’t want them too close together)
- Bake the cookies at 350 F for 14-15 mins, rotating the pan half way through so the back cookies now come to the front.
- Once done the edges will be slightly brown. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for about 5 mins before transferring to a cooling rack. Then add some milk and enjoy!!!
*Just a couple of notes:
- Make sure all the the ingredients are at room temperature. If some are cold the coconut oil will turn would while you are mixing and the cookies won’t come out properly.
- I used my homemade GF blend, but the Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 works well. Just omit the guar gum.